Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Recipe of the week

I thought I might post new recipes that I cook. Only if they taste good!!!

With the weather being cold, I always think about soups as comfort food. When I was a little girl my mom would cook a big pot of vegetable soup everytime she had a hambone. So soup comforts my tummy and comforts me with sweet memories.

I tried a new soup this week. I found it in a Paula Deen magazine. I thought it was delicious and easy. Don even liked it! Here goes!

Chicken, Spinach and Cannellini Soup
Makes about 6 to 8 (1cup) servings

3 boneless skinless chicken breast, fat removed
2 (32 oz) boxes chicken broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 (10 oz) bag fresh baby spinach
2 cans (15.5 oz) cans cannellini beans
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

In a large Dutch oven, bring chicken and broth to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes oruntil chicken is cooked. Remove chicken from broth and shred. Strain broth and reserve.
In the same Dutch oven, combine olive oil, onion, and garlic and cookover medium heat for 4 minutes or until onion is soft. Increase heat ato medium-high and add reserved broth, shredded chicken, spinach, cannellini, salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.

Note: Soup can be made ahead and frozen for up to 1 month. Thaw in refrigerator before reheating.

No comments:

Post a Comment