Sunday, January 17, 2010

Making Your Own Piping



Having the the right tools for the job always makes a project come together better.  This is a piping foot.  It is grooved on the bottom so that the cording itself rests in the groove and allows you to sew close to the cording.



When cutting your strips of fabric (especially if you have to go around corners like on a pillow) it is best to cut the strips of fabric on the bias.  This means at a 45 degree angle to the selvage.  I used my cutting mat which has this marking.  That sure made it easy.


Here you can see how the cord is in the fold of the fabric and the piping foot is running with the groove on the cord. I displayed this with the fabric open just to show you where the placement of the cord should be. When actually sewing it the fabric will be folded over...not open.


Here is the finished cording. After I finished the cording I put it on the pillows that I made for Jaime.

2 comments:

  1. See what you can do with the right tools! Sewing is such a fun hobby, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, you make it look too easy! I didn't even know there was a piping sewing foot!

    ReplyDelete